trevor paterson (RI) wrote:
> Prior to tomcat6 you could happily deploy a 'bar.war' to a context like
> '/foo/bar' simply by including a context.xml file in the META-INF
> directory of the war
>
> with content  <Context path='/foo/bar'/>.

Actually, that won't quite have done what you think it did. You normally
would have ended up with double deployment.

> we can no longer get this to work - the only way we can get a subcontext
> recognized is by  putting this Context element in the server.xml (which
> then causes autodeployment to both '/bar' and '/foo/bar').
>
> We have tried using the TomcatClientDeployer aswell as deploying on
> start up and through the web interface to manager to no avail
>
> are we missing some subtle change from tomcat5 to 6 that is causing
> this?

As of 6.0.18, you have a couple of options:
1. Deploy the war outside the appBase and use a foo#bar.xml context file
2. Name your war foo#bar.war
3. Deploy using a directory foo#bar

2 & 3 only work in 6.0.18 onwards

See http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html for details