----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Gainty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 2:37 PM
Subject: RE: Support

java jar bootstrap.jar works fine for me..

is there ANY possible workaround to this daemon bug?

Thanks,
Martin Gainty
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:10:00 +0100
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: users@tomcat.apache.org

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> The msvcr71.dll file (not msvci70.dll, whatever that is) is required to > run the Tomcat service launcher, but not needed when Tomcat is run via > scripts.
>
> The reason it didn't show up on JRE/JDK 5 is because installation of > that JVM version slams a copy of the DLL into C:\windows\system32, > regardless of what impact that might have on the system. JRE/JDK 6 > installation follows the rules published by Microsoft, and keeps the DLL > in the JVM's bin directory.
>
> Tomcat should be distributing the DLL (or otherwise insuring its > availability) during installation or setup of the Windows service; > however, no one's been able to convince the committers of that yet.

In summary:
- the JVM requires the dll - this is a JVM bug (Sun do not agree)
- the best place to hack around this is when the jvm.dll is loaded (ie the
daemon project)
- a nice summary and all the pointers needed to fix this are here
http://www.duckware.com/tech/java6msvcr71.html
- There is a daemon issue for this
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-110
- Someone with C skills (not me - mine are terrible) needs to write a patch.

Anyone takers?

Mark

I think the only way is to open up procrun in VC and recompile it with the static version of the msvcr71.dll which is msvcr71.lib... then nothing else changes.
procrun will be slightly larger...

The Duckware guy is really pissed off... but as I see it Sun has been fixing the issue and is no longer able to because of MS's new dll hell policies. So its MS's fault... but in fairness MS has always warned people... save space make it small and leave the libs external, and you may have pain ;)

Its 340k... nowadays no biggy...

Just needs a recompile and it should take the procrun guy all of 10 seconds to do ;) Any other way fixes the TC issue... but the problem then remains... procrun is broken.

... I think

In the means time... if you use Java 6, the service will break, but luckily the msvcr71.dll you need is in the Java bin. The real problem is that its going to catch developers, because unless they told about it, they probably running Adobe, or something else, that like the JDK 5 was doing is fixing the system... but at the client the TC Service breaks... more embarassing than anything else.

The only real POJO Application Server.