In my case, webapp A needs to let webapp B know that an event has occurred ...
webapp B then does something based on that event, and the result of that action
is relevant to webapp A.

I did in fact use HttpURLConnection because the original HttpClient class
(Commons I think) was a memory pig and just turned out to be way too
inefficient. I don't involve any JSP's. Webapp B has a simple EventServlet that
gets the request from webapp B.

I guess in answer to your KISS comment, the thought of being able to do
something inside the VM, as opposed to the overhead of opening up a socket and
doing the comms, just seems heavy and I do seem to have varying performance
with my HTTP approach that I can't seem to isolate. Admittedly I am using
Groovy on the webappA side, but that shouldn't impact performance to the extent
I'm seeing.

I appreciate the suggestions from all so far. It does seem like at least there
isn't a 'no-brainer' approach, as in "of course stupid, why don't you just do X
- everybody else does". It sounds like each solution has its clear pros and
cons which must be weighed up in light of my particular environment and
requirements.

- Darryl