Chuck,

I am using the real Tomcat. I set up java and it runs, I added the different environment variables but it won't start. I will just go to 5.5 and see what happens.

Thanks!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <chuck.caldar...@unisys.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:34 PM
Subject: RE: Installing Tomcat

From: michel [mailto:compu...@videotron.ca]

But I am just frustrated that installing Tomcat involves
so much guess-work as oppossed to having some clues.

I'm really confused by your statement. I have to admit that I've never installed the ancient level you're trying to use, but I have installed 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0 on several different platforms, including our proprietary mainframe. In all cases, it was simply download, unzip (or untar), run the startup script, done. Note that in all cases I was using a real Tomcat download (not a 3rd-party repackaged corruption) and a real JVM (not gcj).

So what is the source of your frustration?

- Chuck