Chuck,

Thanks, and I'll go with 6.0 as you suggest. Right now I am just trying to learn how to get different servers and software systems set up and working. But at this time I am better to give up on Tomcat 4 anyway since I can't get it working and it's out do date anyway.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <chuck.caldar...@unisys.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:01 PM
Subject: RE: Installing Tomcat

From: michel [mailto:compu...@videotron.ca]

I set up java and it runs

What JVM?  (The 4.1 version of Tomcat requires a JDK, not just a JRE.)

What platform?  Problem solving is pretty much impossible without specifics.

I added the different environment variables

There's only one environment variable needed: JAVA_HOME; the rest are set by the startup.bat or startup.sh scripts automatically.

I will just go to 5.5 and see what happens.

I'd suggest using 6.0, don't bother with the older versions unless you have a specific need for them (e.g., matching some existing implementation).

For 5.5 and 6.0, you will need a 1.5 or 1.6 JRE (a JDK also works, but isn't required). If you have a JRE, set JRE_HOME, not JAVA_HOME. (You can run 5.5 on a 1.4 JVM, but it's more complicated and there's really no reason to do so.)

- Chuck