Zak Mc Kracken wrote:
..., although it seems to imply
that RemoteHostValve should be avoided (isn't DNS reverse lookup cached?)
Well, I suppose it probably is, at some level. At the level of the Remote Host Valve possibly, if the designers thought about it, or else at some underlying level.
But there can be other problems :
- not all clients really have a proper reverse DNS mapping by mere sloppiness in their registration process. It is frequent to be able to forward-resolve a hostname, but to get an "unknown domain" when trying the reverse lookup of that IP address - there are cases where it's not due to sloppiness, but to the sheer difficulty/impossibility to do a proper reverse registration. One example is when you have a variable IP address provided by your ISP, but you arrange to re-register your hostname/IP whenever the IP changes, with a service like dyndns.org. Someone trying to reach your server through its hostname will succeed (because the forward mapping from myhost.dyndns.org works), but when doing a reverse lookup they will get, if anything, the canonical name that your ISP gives to this temporary connection.

and cannot be chained with RemoteAddrValve.

This is nitpicking, but I don't think that they cannot be chained per se. The problem in this case is to specify the attributes in a way that makes sense, which in this case is rather difficult to say the least. The problem is that each Valve operates independently, and either allows or denies access absolutely, they do not cooperate. It would in my view make a lot more sense to have a single Remote Access Valve to which one could specify, in "allow" or "deny", a hostname AND/OR an IP address expression. Like <Valve className="x" allow="localhost,www.mydomain.com,192\.168\.1" deny=".*\.badguys.com,10\.20\.30\.0" /> That's how it works in Apache httpd, and it seems to me to make a lot more sense than these two separate Valves.

Of course one can
do what you suggests, although this is a bit impractical in large networks where one wouldn't like to care about IP changes of symbolic names.
True, but usually such networks have a specific range (or ranges) of IP addresses. We have several customers like that.

Worse, I don't see what I could do to grant access to single PCs
in those LANs where users have fixed host names for their PCs, but DHCP-assigned IPs (OK, maybe it's a theoretical case, I would probably switch to user/password).
Yes, and in most cases you would then probably want to couple that with some kind of SSO and automatic network authentication, à la jCIFS or Jespa or Kerberos. These access Valves are a first line of defense, and as far as the Address Valve is concerned, a pretty effective one when applicable, because it is difficult (and rather pointless) for someone to fake someone else's IP address. But you should not consider this as an authentication mechanism, since after all anyone can be behind that workstation.