On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Zak Mc Kracken <zakmc...@yahoo.it> wrote:
> Gregor Schneider wrote:
>>
>> you've been asking the valve-stuff because you want to limit the
>> access to requests coming from localhost only?
>
> Yep!
>
>> why then not make tomcat listen on localhost only? configuration for
>> that's a walk in the park...
>>

> My Tomcat is serving a number of webapps, I want to restrict access to one
> only (the others are proper end-user-dedicated applications). Furthermore,
> it's more modular if I can set up such restriction rules into the app's WAR,
> rather than at Tomcat configuration level. So, it should be as previously
> explained, or am I missing something?

That wasn't clear to me.

Have you ever thought about fronting Tomcat with Apache HTTPD, then
connecting it via mod_jk?

Thus, Tomcat would listen on localhost only, and Apache HTTPD takes
care about forwarding appropriate requests to Tomcat on localhost.

Besides, you could use Apache's mod_authz
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authz_host.html) to specify
the authorized ips / hosts.

Might be a little bit more work beforehand, but that would be my
preferred solution.

Rgds

Gregor
--
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2