From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 11:52 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: decouple authentication and authorization of TOMCAT

John Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We have installed a third-party software running on tomcat. Is there
> anyway to decouple tomcat authentication and authorization? We have to
> use AD for authentication and we are not encouraged to add groups to AD
> just for the new software.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.

Since you said any, here is mine :
I think you want to look at the following 2 things :
1) search Google for "tomcat +securityfilter"
2) http://www.ioplex.com, look at Jespa

As I understand it,
- Jespa will allow you to authenticate users based on their Windows
Domain login
- securityfilter should then allow you to allow access or not, based on
that prior authentication

(and, basically, you do not use Tomcat realm-based AAA)