On 14/09/2009 17:40, André Warnier wrote:
John Chen wrote:

I am also thinking using Apache Web Server to do the authentication
and use tomcat for authorization, do you think it would work?

With the Apache/mod_jk/Tomcat combination it can, certainly.
There exists (I believe in the <Connector> element of Tomcat), an
attribute "tomcatAuthentication", which when set to false makes Tomcat
accept the user-id authenticated by Apache as its own.
I do not know with other connectors.
But if this would be the only reason to put Apache in front of your
Tomcat, it would be a lot of complication for that sole purpose.

... especially as we haven't established what the problem actually is.

There is a JNDIRealm and the topic of an ActiveDirectory compatible Realm comes up not infrequently on this list.