Mark Thomas wrote:
André Warnier wrote:
Sam Crawford wrote:
Apologies for misinterpreting your post.

Unfortunately we can't ditch SunONE - it's a requirement from our
security guys. We're operating in a two-tier DMZ environment and
SunONE will be in the top tier, with an SSO agent running inside it.
JBoss will be in the 2nd tier.

Just by curiosity (and I do not know SunONE) : you mention SSO. I know
that with Apache and mod_jk, the authenticated Apache user can be passed
on to Tomcat, and use by Tomcat.  But I don't so far know any other
connector able to do this.  How does it work with SunONE ?

All the variants of mod_jk (httpd, IIS, Netscape) support this, as does
mod_proxy_ajp. It is a feature supported by the AJP protocol. AFAIR The Netscape
variant works with SunOne.

Thanks for that clarification.
Since I work mostly with Apache, my knowledge of IIS-related stuff is scarce, and I have another follow-up question : If the webserver is IIS, connected to Tomcat (as you imply above) via the appropriate version of mod_jk, does that mean that when a HTTP user's browser (IE) connects to IIS, and IIS authenticates the user (via some NTLM scheme), this IE/IIS user-id is automatically being passed to Tomcat via AJP, and (depending on the Tomcat configuration) Tomcat can make use of it ? Or does the above require additional setup steps at the IE/IIS/mod_jk level ?