Rainer Jung wrote:
On 11.10.2009 14:35, André Warnier wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
André Warnier wrote:
Sam Crawford wrote:
Apologies for misinterpreting your post.

Unfortunately we can't ditch SunONE - it's a requirement from our
security guys. We're operating in a two-tier DMZ environment and
SunONE will be in the top tier, with an SSO agent running inside it.
JBoss will be in the 2nd tier.

Just by curiosity (and I do not know SunONE) : you mention SSO. I know
that with Apache and mod_jk, the authenticated Apache user can be passed
on to Tomcat, and use by Tomcat.  But I don't so far know any other
connector able to do this.  How does it work with SunONE ?
All the variants of mod_jk (httpd, IIS, Netscape) support this, as does
mod_proxy_ajp. It is a feature supported by the AJP protocol. AFAIR
The Netscape
variant works with SunOne.

Thanks for that clarification.
Since I work mostly with Apache, my knowledge of IIS-related stuff is
scarce, and I have another follow-up question :
If the webserver is IIS, connected to Tomcat (as you imply above) via
the appropriate version of mod_jk, does that mean that when a HTTP
user's browser (IE) connects to IIS, and IIS authenticates the user (via
some NTLM scheme), this IE/IIS user-id is automatically being passed to
Tomcat via AJP, and (depending on the Tomcat configuration) Tomcat can
make use of it ?
Or does the above require additional setup steps at the IE/IIS/mod_jk
level ?

As far as I know that works out of the box. In order to let tomcat trust
the information, you'd need to set tpomcatAuthentication though.

One unfortunate thing: we use the standard request data REMORE_USER to
forward, and for IIS this is:

"The name of the user as it is derived from the authorization header
sent by the client, before the user name is mapped to a Windows account.
If you have an authentication filter installed on your Web server that
maps incoming users to accounts, use LOGON_USER to view the mapped user
name."

AFAIR this means yo get a lot of different mixtures of upper an dlower
case etc. Not a normalized version of the user id.

When acivating debug log level in mod_jk, there is a line

Service protocol=%s method=%s host=%s addr=%s name=%s port=%d auth=%s
user=%s uri=%s

which contains the authentication protocol ("auth=") and the user name
("user=") being forwarded.

Thanks, Rainer.
Do you also happen to remember if the user-id so forwarded is just the user-id, or (if NTLM) does it include the NTLM domain ? (like domain\user). Or is the answer to that also of the "it depends" type ?