Well, I guess I was wrong.  The delay is still there.

I installed a new copy of Tomcat and still have the same problem.  I
have the following context files:

${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/context.xml
Which contains (comments removed):
<Context>
    <Manager pathname="" />
</Context>

${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/Catalina/localhost/Spc.xml
<Context antiJARLocking="true" antiResourceLocking="true">
    <Manager pathname="" />
</Context>

I uncommented the <Manager> element because I don't want to persist
sessions between startups.

I am still getting the four minute delay.  The tomcat log messages show
(similar to before):

2009-10-12 18:06:13,973 DEBUG main
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig - Successfully processed
context [/Spc] configuration file
E:\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\conf\Catalina\localhost\Spc.xml null

2009-10-12 18:10:12,987 DEBUG main
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext - Starting /Spc

I notice that the "null" is still being displayed, which, according to
an earlier reply indicated the file has no recognizable content.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you for any help.