On 07/01/2010 11:24, Alexander Skwar wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Right now, we're using Bea WebLogic as our application server. We'd like to
> change to Tomcat 6. Now the creator of the application being run on the
> App Server said, that Tomcat works very well under low usage / low load
> situations. But if there are "many" (unsure about the definition of
> "many"...)
> users, Tomcat might tend to not perform so well anymore.
>
> I suppose "many" might mean like 50-100+ concurrent users using the App
> or system at the same time.
>
> Now I'm wondering, if that's actually true - does Tomcat not perform well
> anymore, if there are many users using it? Does anyone of you maybe have
> real world examples of high profile / high load sites using Tomcat (6)?

The powered by list [1] is a good place to start. The reference I
usually use (because I work for SpringSource) is actually a tc Server
reference [2] but all the stuff that matters (the nice things they say
about increased throughput, lower server load and improved scalability)
is pure Tomcat.

In my experience if an app performs badly under load it doesn't matter
what application server you run it on it will always perform badly under
load.

With well written applications I have seen a single Tomcat instance
handle 1600 concurrent requests all with sub-second response time quite
happily with 1GB RAM and ~5% CPU. In that case the load testing
framework fell over long before Tomcat even looked like it might be
struggling - but it was a *very* well written application. Equally, I
have seen applications with issues struggle to manage 10 concurrent users.

Keep in mind that you may need to tune threads, memory and GC settings
to suit your app and the associated load.

HTH,

Mark

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/PoweredBy

[2]