of course there can't be a high-load thread without me, so here are my 2 cents:

<2 cents>
I'm working in high-performance high-portal environment since 2004,
and i must say that starting with tomcat 5
i've never experienced any performance problems caused by tomcat itself.
The number of concurrent users and, more important, concurrent
requests on a tomcat instance are limited by your network bandwidth,
your cpu, your ram and, first of all, your application but not tomcat.
My largest installation served more than 30.000 concurrent users,
which produced about 4.000 requests per second (cumulated over few
machines) all well under 500 ms delivery time. However the application
was optimized for performance and scaleability.
So, with 95% certainty your problem won't be tomcat! :-)
Go for the kitty ;-)
</2cents>

regards
Leon