Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: David kerber [mailto:dcker...@verizon.net]
Subject: Re: Installation differences between 6.0.24 and 5.5.28

Regardless, you cannot reliably share anything between two different Tomcat versions.

I have no desire to do so;

??? That contradicts your previous statement:

Correct, and it's different from catalina_home. Catalina_home is each version's own installation directory, and catalina_base
is set the same for both installations

Can't both be true.

Why not?  Here are the entries on the java tab of tomcat6w:

-Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\endorsed
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\conf\logging.properties
-Dcatalina.base=C:\TomcatClients\Pelican
-Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\TomcatClients\Pelican\temp

And tomcat5w has

-Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\common\endorsed
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\conf\logging.properties
-Dcatalina.base=C:\TomcatClients\Pelican
-Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\TomcatClients\Pelican\temp

Unless there's something I'm completely misunderstanding (definitely possible!), this has catalina_base set the same for each one, and catalina_home set differently??

Does 6.0.x simply have trouble when catalina_home != catalina_base????

The environment variables mean nothing when Tomcat is running as a service; you
have to set the appropriate system properties in the Java tab of the
tomcat6w.exe program.  I have no trouble when running separate home and base
directories.

I know; see above...

I found moving from 5.5.x to 6.0.x to be exceedingly trivial; the only thing of
significance that changed was the replacement of the shared, common, and server
libraries with a single one.

Maybe that's what I'm missing...