I have changed server.xml to a ridiculous connectionTimeout value and now it
seems to run better. Since I did this for no good reason at all, it is
probably not the reason it runs better.
  <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="222220000"
               redirectPort="8443" />

Jconsole seems not to be able to connect, although servlet is responsive.

I think I probably need to read more about jconsole, but I guess I need to
sleep first.

For the time being it works now!

Thanks for the great help!

Your help makes tomcat a lot more sympathetic to me!

Maurice