I have seen similar issues on our corporate (XP and Vista) laptops, somebody
decided that the locally running firewall should also block access to
localhost. I think you should first verify if that's the case.
I'm not a Windows expert, so I don't know how to check if the above is the
case.
If you are allowed to give the netstat command, try the suggestion from
Charles (netstat -ano), if you see status SYN_SENT, it's for sure a firewall
issue.

regards,
Harry