From: André Warnier [...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 3:47 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Apache Tomcat 6.0.18 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Changes RDP Port

Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2010/6/23 Aaron Clark <acl...@intellicominc.com>:
>> 1) Terminal Services starts listening on port 80 instead of 3380
>>
>> 2) We determined this by disabling Tomcat. The problem stopped. This is
>> happening on their website, so we would know it happens because customers
>> would call in saying the website is down.
>>
>> 3) Right now (before the switch) it is showing tomcat running on 80 and
>> svchost running on 3389. I haven't run this command after the switch yet.
>>

>> 4) Tomcat is what runs on port 80, yes.
>>

> Are access logs enabled on that system? What happens with Tomcat when
> this happens (is it down and unable to start?) I doubt that this
> change might happen while Tomcat still runs. Is the system property
> secured? E.g. such trivial issue as CVE-2009-3548
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/security-6.html

Aaron,
to insist :
- there is no way for a process (RDP) to tell the Operating System (Windows),
something
like "change the port number of my listening socket to xxx".  Such a call does
not exist.
- there is no way for a process to tell the OS "change the listening port
number xxx of
process yyy to zzz". Such a call does not exist.
- Tomcat itself (nor the JVM that actually runs Tomcat) does not contain code
that would
even try to do that.

But a rogue webapp running under Tomcat /might/ contain code that helps a
hacker into
doing something like that.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any files or attachments
transmitted with it may contain information that is confidential, privileged
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. It is intended solely for the
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination,
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply E-mail and
destroy all copies of the original message. Additionally, we will take the
appropriate action to avoid sending you an unintended E-mail in the future.
Thank you for your cooperation.