Hi, First of all I would like to mention that this is my first post on this list, I hope that this question is sent in the right place. I have tried finding a solution for my problem, but it either doesn't exist, or my limited brain can't manage to figure out how to do it (I strongly hope it is the latter).

My issue is with the mod_jk plugin. I want to redirect my subdomain requests jira.example.com to a tomcat 6 virtual host called jiraapp. If I call the subdomain jira.example.com Im always getting the default tomcat 6 host called localhost.

I tested every part:
1.) mod_jk: if i change the workers name in either workers.properties or und er my enabled-site <VirtualHost> or if i change the mapping to my virtual host (/etc/hosts: 127.0.0.1 localhost jiraapp) apache doesnt start. So I think this should work and is configured right. 2.) if I do a lynx jiraapp:8080 on the machine it works and shows the right webapp.

But if I access jira.example.com I always getting the default root-webapp of tomcat 6. So theres no difference in calling jira.example.com or example.com:8080. In general my setup looks like this:
1.) browse to jira.example.com
2.) apache <VirtualHost> hands over to mod_jk
3.) mod_jk redirects to worker.jiraworker.host:worker.jiraworker.port (jiraa pp:8009) via ajp
4.) jiraapp resolves to 127.0.0.1 trough /etc/hosts
5.) tomcat relays to the jiraapp name based virtual host

Do I miss something here? My guess would be that iam doing something wrong in step 4 because i can call lynx jiraapp on the local bash (5) and i can access the default virtual host from remote (1-3).

Help would be appreciated.

Versions:
Apache Tomcat/6.0.29
Sun-Java 1.6.0_20-b02
Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) mod_jk/1.2.26 proxy_html/3.0.0 Server
libapache2-mod-jk 1:1.2.26-2+lenny1

== jk.load ==

LoadModule jk_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so
JkWorkersFile /etc/apache2/workers.properties
JkLogFile /var/log/apache2/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel info
# JkOptions +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat -ForwardDirectories -ForwardLocalAddress
JkRequestLogFormat "%w %V %T"

== workers.properties ==

workers.tomcat_home=/opt/tomcat
workers.java_home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
worker.list=jiraworker
worker.jiraworker.port=8009
worker.jiraworker.host=jiraapp
worker.jiraworker.type=ajp13

== /etc/hosts ==

::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost jiraapp

== server.xml ===

[...]
<Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
[...]
</Host>
<Host name="jiraapp" appBase="jiraapp" docBase="/opt/tomcat/jiraapp"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false" >

== apache example.com virtual hosts configuration file ==
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.jira.example.com
ServerAlias jira.example.com
JkMount /* jiraworker