        From: Moritz Winter [mailto:moritz.a.win...@googlemail.com]
        Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:11 PM
        To: users@tomcat.apache.org
        Subject: mod_jk and tomcat virtual hosts not connecting

          Hi, First of all I would like to mention that this is my first
        post on
        this list, I hope that this question is sent in the right place.
        I have tried finding a solution for my problem, but it either
        doesn't
        exist, or my limited brain can't manage to figure out how to do
        it (I
        strongly hope it is the latter).

        My issue is with the mod_jk plugin. I want to redirect my
        subdomain
        requests jira.example.com to a tomcat 6 virtual host called
        jiraapp. If
        I call the subdomain jira.example.com Im always getting the
        default
        tomcat 6 host called localhost.

        I tested every part:
        1.) mod_jk: if i change the workers name in either
        workers.properties or
        und er my enabled-site <VirtualHost> or if i change the mapping
        to my
        virtual host (/etc/hosts: 127.0.0.1 localhost jiraapp) apache
        doesnt
        start. So I think this should work and is configured right.
        2.) if I do a lynx jiraapp:8080 on the machine it works and
        shows the
        right webapp.

        But if I access jira.example.com I always getting the default
        root-webapp of tomcat 6. So theres no difference in calling
        jira.example.com or example.com:8080. In general my setup looks
        like this:
        1.) browse to jira.example.com
        2.) apache <VirtualHost> hands over to mod_jk
        3.) mod_jk redirects to
        worker.jiraworker.host:worker.jiraworker.port
        (jiraa pp:8009) via ajp
        4.) jiraapp resolves to 127.0.0.1 trough /etc/hosts
        5.) tomcat relays to the jiraapp name based virtual host

        Do I miss something here? My guess would be that iam doing
        something
        wrong in step 4 because i can call lynx jiraapp on the local
        bash (5)
        and i can access the default virtual host from remote (1-3).

        Help would be appreciated.

        Versions:
        Apache Tomcat/6.0.29
        Sun-Java 1.6.0_20-b02
        Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) mod_jk/1.2.26 proxy_html/3.0.0 Server
        libapache2-mod-jk 1:1.2.26-2+lenny1

        == jk.load ==

        LoadModule jk_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so
        JkWorkersFile /etc/apache2/workers.properties
        JkLogFile /var/log/apache2/mod_jk.log
        JkLogLevel info
        # JkOptions +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat
        -ForwardDirectories
        -ForwardLocalAddress
        JkRequestLogFormat "%w %V %T"

        == workers.properties ==

        workers.tomcat_home=/opt/tomcat
        workers.java_home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
        worker.list=jiraworker
        worker.jiraworker.port=8009
        worker.jiraworker.host=jiraapp
        worker.jiraworker.type=ajp13

        == /etc/hosts ==

        ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
        fe00::0 ip6-localnet
        ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
        ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
        ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
        ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
        127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost jiraapp

        == server.xml ===

        [...]
        <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
        [...]
        </Host>
        <Host name="jiraapp" appBase="jiraapp"
        docBase="/opt/tomcat/jiraapp"
        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
        xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false" >

        == apache example.com virtual hosts configuration file ==
        <VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName www.jira.example.com
        ServerAlias jira.example.com
        JkMount /* jiraworker