Yeah, well reasoned rebuttal there....not.
That's why we encrypt passwords in unix, or haven't you looked at etc/passwd
lately? Are you going to tell me that is complete nonsense?
According to your 'argument' that is 'security by obscurity'. You better break
that to the GNU crowd gently.
Having a username and password in clear text allows another account to be
compromised. And, if that account is on another box holding your DB, then the
attacker has two boxes for the price of one.
This is additionally worse, as in a secure environment, the DB is usually in a
different architecture layer or vlan.

On 31/10/10 8:01 AM, "Pid *" <p...@pidster.com> wrote:

On 30 Oct 2010, at 15:20, Darryl Lewis <darryl.le...@unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> Well so far all this discussion has done is to make me realise that tomcat
> should not be used in an environment that requires security.

Complete nonsense.