> From: Darryl Lewis [mailto:darryl.le...@unsw.edu.au]
> Subject: Re: running tomcat6 under a different user than root (debian)

> That's why we encrypt passwords in unix, or haven't you
> looked at etc/passwd lately?

No, we encrypt them in Linux because the (very outmoded) /etc/passwd file is
readable by anyone.  Your critical server files should not have 644 on them,
and any Java-based app servers you're running should have a security manager
enabled if you can't trust your webapps.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.