> Jeffrey,
>
> On 8/24/2011 9:59 AM, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
>> As Chris pointed out, it is mostly used by folks running with
>> "sticky-sessions"
>
> Actually, use of the jvmRoute with non-sticky sessions seems like
> an unnecessary step to me, since non-sticky sessions implies that
> you either have no sessions (and it doesn't matter at all) or you
> have replicated sessions where it doesn't matter which cluster
> member you reach.
>
>> but from what I've been able to tell, most folks set up their
>> clusters that way. It lessens the headaches.
>
> Practically speaking, clustering Tomcat instances means session
> replication, which (if you ask me) does not warrant session
> stickiness (though session replication does take some time... I
> don't know enough about TC's clustering to know whether race
> conditions are possible or probable).

If you use the Backup Manager you must use sticky sessions.

If you use the delta manager with asynchronous replication or if a
client may make concurrent requests then you must use sticky sessions.

If you use the delta manager with synchronous replication and you are
sure you will not have concurrent requests from the same client then
you don't have to use sticky sessions.

> For my money, I'd go for sticky sessions and no replication at all.
> If you really need cluster-wide session access, look to other
> solutions (memcached, db-backed sessions, etc.).

If stateless isn't an option, I'd go for a correctly configured backup
manager.

Mark