Thanks, I figured that out shortly before getting your reply.

Moving the filter and mapping into the app's web.xml has eliminated the error
from the logs, however, the ssi still won't display a result.

By this I mean if I insert: Today is <!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" --> into my
.jsp, when I view the page I only see "Today is".

My previous experience with Apache's SSI suggests if it wasn't enabled
correctly, I'd see "Today is <!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->" on my page because
it just would assume that directive is text.

Assuming Tomcat follows the same, it would tell me that it is parsing it and
for whatever reason not outputting a result.  I could be wrong.

Thank you again for your time.
-Steve