3. A 504 response code is a gateway timeout. Tomcat does not issue this
on its own. Either you have a proxy in front of Tomcat or your
application is returning this value.

A. Yes the proxy relayed this message, it seems the tomcat did not respond with any message at all.

looks like 200 idle threads to me.

In comet idle threads are fine rights. Thats how comet/nio works right. Please
correct me on this.