> Hi Celso, you signature is in portuguese because that i will talk in
> portuguese...
>
> Tenho 12 anos de experiência com Linux e dois livros publicados, nunca
> vi um tomcat rodar sem consumir umas cacetadas de megas de memória,
> acho que o java, é uma plataforma ruim, mas que todo mundo defende e
> quer usar, talvez seja mais facil desenvolver em Java, o que eu acho
> difícil ser verdade, talvez seja mais fácil a portabilidade, mas eu
> acho improvavel o php não ser portável e não haver outras coisas
> portáveis como o ruby.
>
> O que eu sei é que em todas as empresas que fui para resolver algum
> problema no servidor, estava na lista o tomcat que consumia memória.
> Por exemplo na empresa que estou atualmente o tomcat consome 2 GB de
> memória, num sistema que processa 2 milhões de registros, apesar de
> parecer "Explicável" isso jamais aconteceria se estivessemos usando
> php, nunca fui numa empresa e me reclamaram que uma aplicação php
> estivesse lenta ou comendo memória, isso é uma lenda.
>
> Mas uma lenda mesmmo é dizer que o Linux vai resolver o problema do
> Java, que é comer memória até o infinito, talvez os desenvolvedores é
> que sejam muito ruins, mas estou para achar um bom então, pois toda
> empresa que fui mesmo problema, espero que eu não seja expulso desta
> lista por dizer isso. Mas infelizmente todos aqui no fundo do coração
> devem saber que é verdade.
>
> Agora, se ta travando seu sistema começe aumentando a memória da
> máquina virtual do java.
>
> For the benefit of the non-portuguese speaking list members, Luciano
basically has a rant about

1) how in his experience java always consumes lots of memory
2) how php is much better
3) how php doesn't randomly consume memory

He also wishes that he is not expelled from the mailing list for making
these comments. Rather than having a php vs java discussion, I would just
reply that the java process is configured to have a maximum amount of
memory. The java process will never exceed this. If you have gone into an
environment where hte server is using 2gb of memory, then it was explicitly
configured to do so. It is not true to say that "java just kept on
consuming memory infinitely"

> 2012/1/25, Celso Magalhães Dantas Neto <ce...@reconcavo.org.br>:
> > Hey everyone!
> >
> > Does anyone knows where I can find any information about Tomcat memory
> > requirements?

Couldn't you just run tomcat without any webapps installed? Surely that
would provide the information that you require? Presumably it would be
different on each platform, so doing this on your target platform would be
easiest

> > Here's the problem: I got a client who's running a Tomcat process in his
> > machine and it is taking around 150MB of RAM and he is complaining about
> > it. It's a webapp and for me it's normal to a webapp to take that amount
> of
> > memory, but I want to argue with him with some data.

If in his server tomcat process takes 150MB of memory, what is the issue?
The box has more than 150MB of memory free right, so what's wrong?

 > So I'm looking for some Tomcat memory requirements info, even if it's a
> > memory requirements to run Tomcat only, with no deployed webapp. It will
> > help me to argue with him.

Good luck

Chris