On 25/01/2012 18:19, Celso Magalhães Dantas Neto wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the reply!
>
> My problem is not to argue how the application is consuming RAM, but to
> show that 150MB is not too much memory. But for that I'd like to use
> trusted information such as an article, or official info. The client
> doesn't understand anything about technologies but has opened the Windows
> Task Manager and saw that Tomcat is on top 3 in memory consumption. I just
> need to argue with him that 150MB is normal for a Java web app.
>
> I know that "normal" really depends on how your/my application has been
> developed but I was just wondering if I could find information about memory
> consumption of a small 1 CRUD application (for example).
>
> And yes I could start Tomcat with no app, and create a 1 CRUD application,
> but I would prefer to argue with some trusted article or official
> information.
>
> Ah! BTW, I'm not complaining about Java or Tomcat memory consumption! I'm
> just trying to argue with the client. =D
> And I'm running Tomcat 6 and Java 1.6

I work for a fairly large & well known company that ships a commercial
version of Tomcat with the default heap size set to 512Mb.

I regularly see heaps of 2Gb and more at work with customers.

Quibbling about memory size because the number 'seems a bit large' is a
waste of your customer and your own time.  If they're not paying for you
for the time you take to explain, just tell them it's normal & move on.