On 25 Jan 2012, at 12:53, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 25/01/2012 11:45, Celso Magalhães Dantas Neto wrote:
>> Hey everyone!
>>
>> Does anyone knows where I can find any information about Tomcat memory
>> requirements?
>
> Tomcat needs less than 20MB to start up. Everything after that depends
> on the application and the load level.
>
>> Here's the problem: I got a client who's running a Tomcat process in his
>> machine and it is taking around 150MB of RAM and he is complaining about
>> it. It's a webapp and for me it's normal to a webapp to take that amount of
>> memory, but I want to argue with him with some data.
>
> I have seen Tomcat running on JVMs with memory settings ranging from
> 32MB to 8GB. 150MB isn't unreasonable at first glance but it all depends
> on the app.
>
>> So I'm looking for some Tomcat memory requirements info, even if it's a
>> memory requirements to run Tomcat only, with no deployed webapp. It will
>> help me to argue with him.
>
> See above. The Tomcat only figure is less than 20MB.

And of this, a Tomcat instance with just the ROOT application can be
observed to consume from ~6Mb to ~10Mb of RAM in the object heap with
a nice stable sawtooth on most systems.

VisualVM connected to Tomcat will provide you with a nice graph
demonstrating this, which you can compare to a graph from the
customers application.