Robo wrote:
Ok, seems removing \"wicket-velocity-1.3.0-beta3.jar\" from build
path solved problem with velocity problem. But please explain me why
removing package from build path solves the problem if nowhere in my
Hello World code i call for any of the velocity packages. Is there
some duplicities in packages or what?

I expect because Wicket looks on the classpath for Wicket modules to initialise, finds some in that JAR, tries to and then can't find one of its dependencies.

Modern Java apps tend to be complex beasts, with lots of dependencies. If you insist on managing these manually, you can expect to have a fair bit of work to do. That's why things like Ivy and Maven 2 were invented.

As to Maven2. It seems that like you in some way force developers to Maven2. :-)

No, not at all. But if you've deliberately chosen to manage your dependencies manually when there are perfectly good ways of doing it automatically, then we're not going to hold your hand for you. We don't get paid to do this, you know.

If you don't like Maven 2 no one is forcing you to use it. Use Ivy instead. Or use the standalone Maven 2 Ant tasks for doing dependencies.

Alternatively, install Maven 2, use it to build a quickstart WAR file with all the things you need, and then grab the JARs from there.

Any of these options would take you a tenth of the time you've spent bitching on this mailing list.

Yes Maven solves you some problems with dependecies and also si
suitable for small project but at big projects it definitely fails.
:-/

So Geronimo is a small project? And Jetty? And Apache Directory Server? And Wicket for that matter? And the several-hundreds-of-thousands-of- lines, 200+ dependencies projects we have here that use it? Jeez - I may have a high horse, but yours is scraping the stratosphere. Sure, it has some issues, but so does anything complex.

The simple point is that for most people, Ivy or Maven 2 do what they want it to do. If you don't like any of these automated tools and insist on doing it all manually, you can't expect us to have all that much time for you, as we don't get paid to do this, you know. It's like you're complaining that there's no documentation on how to hammer in a nail using a screwdriver.

So please. I know you have lot of work with wicket, and as users can
see you have a good aproach. But please do spend some time to at least
write one chapter about libraries, neede dependencies and so on. If you
have licensing problems just make one clear site with core libs link,
dep libs link and explanation what feature they are enabling and so on.
And make some quick start page in which you explainn dependecies on
simple sample app :-)Do not take alibistic aproach of hiding everithing
besides Maven. :-)

Why don't you write a wiki page for us?

Despite the fact I'm not being paid to be your tech support, I've taken some time out to give you a text file exhaustively detailing the required dependencies for each of our modules, including the transitive ones. I have done the work for you (not that you've even murmured a thank you), so why are you still bitching about it?

Al
--
Alastair Maw
Wicket-biased blog at http://herebebeasties.com