If I pass the id, I have to persist the filter someplace, like
the session.  I try to avoid putting things on the session
since it inhibits performance of session replication in a clustered
environment.

If I could get to the requestCycle when the link is clicked, it seems
like I could pass it along the request.  But the BookmarkablePageLink
doesn't have an onClick() event.

Thinking out loud, it seems like if there were parameters that were
"bookmarkable" (e.g. included in the built url), and others
that were not (passed along, but not part of the generated url).

Maybe that's something that could be done on a custom RequestCycle.
Or maybe it's not so bad having the obj on the session.  :-)