If the page is bookmarked, I don't care about retaining the filter.
I just want the id for the item they want to view.  But if they
clicked the link from the list page (that has a list based on the filter),
then when they return to the list page (save, cancel), I want
to pass the filter back.

The target page looks for the filter and simply passes it back.  if
there's nothing there, it passes nothing back.