Yes,  do rely on wicket generated ID. But it will never break because the
javascript code which use these ID is supplied with generated id. For
instance:

function doSomethingWithWicketComponent(config) {
  var el = document.getElementById('#' + config.id);
  //do something with el.
}

where config is JSON containing wicket markup id.

and call the function this way:

doSomethingWithWicketComponent({'id':/*here will be inserted dynamically
generated wicket markup ID*/});

This function is called when component is being rendered.

Generation of wicket markup ID helps very much in such situations, because I
do not want to hardcode ID in the markup, and also wicket guaranties the
unicity of the ID attribute.