i don't know if it helps, but my funded startup (austin ventures) is using
wicket, as well as people at well known companies like Joost and IBM.  i've
had 3 consulting offers including one from a major company in just the last
week.  so wicket is not untested technology.  and it's definitely taking
off.  and yes, it does solve a lot of the problems you're talking about
which other frameworks do not address.  but it takes time to affect change,
particularly in management (and for good reasons).  but that said, unless
you're developing applications without a lot of complexity (where templating
plus a little logic is all you need), your company is probably making a
mistake.  you might have them read the second section of this article:

and no, i don't know anyone at that company.