> > And if somebody really needs 5 child areas, something else might be
even
> > messier than the page's constructor. I rather think that 2, 3 or in
rare
> > cases even 4 ids could make sense.
>
> i must disagree - i have a basepage which defines the default layout
on a
> project, i.e. header, top-nav-container (imprint etc), navigation,
> content-left/-right/main, footer - this makes 7 panels which are added
on
> the
> way down to the resulting page...
>
> but i don't use abstract methods for this, for it can get messy (as
stated
> in other comments).

How can it get messy when it's not yet possible to do in wicket? You
mention 7 different panels which is > 1 and so not currently supported
by wicket's current child/extends feature. Unless you mean that trying
to override 7 different sections with only one child/extends feature -
but now my brain hurts - the anticipated messiness my be a result of
trying to implement multiple specialized sections without support for it
being in wicket yet ;)

(but given that many people are starting to warm to the idea you might
be able to do this sooner rather than later!)