fattymelt,
It used to work that you could jar up your templates and put them
under WEB-INF/lib. If that doesn't work, create your own
velocity.properties file and define the init-params
velocityPropertiesFolder and velocity.properties in your web.xml. You
can define there which loaders to use and what root the
FileResourceLoader should use. Best of luck, fattymelt!