Just to be sure...

In the Wicket section of web.xml I am going to add the two init-params. One
of which defines the folder in which to find my properties file, and the
other is the actual filename. Then I can use that properties file to specify
what my TEMPLATE_ROOT is.

The only I don't get, is that I have working templates now that are in
WEB-IN/templates. So, it isn't like velocity-contrib isn't finding them. So
I'm not sure why the "parse" directive isn't looking there, too?