thanks. i always thought it was the other way, probably because i
googled it at the time instead of reading the spec. if you google
"web.xml filter order" the first hit you get is

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/05/10/servlet_filters.html?page=3

which states that it is the order they are defined...

-igor