Thanks for your reply,

Maybe it's because I am using a <wicket:message key="foobar"/> in the
markup?!

There isn't really any code to show.  I put the wicket:message into the
page, then i check the params coming in to the method.

I'll have a bit more of a play I think, but I would be interested in what
your results are with the <wicket:message key="foobar"/>

Rgds

Ned