just to make it more clear to you

AjaxLazyLoadPanel == a Panel == Own markup

so what you have is not possible

you can have that code just fine in lazy load panel but the panel must have
its own markup
that is this:

<form wicket:id="form">
         <select wicket:id="pickList">
               <option>option 1</option>
               <option>option 2</option>
         </select>
         <input wicket:id="asubmit" type="button" value="Submit"></input>
       </form>