1) Generifying* Wicket
  [X] Can best be done in a limited fashion, where we only generify
IModel but not components. I care more about what generifying can do
for API clarity (declaring a component to only accept certain models
for instance) than static type checking.

2) How strongly do you feel about your choice above?
  [X] Whatever choice ultimately made, I'll happily convert/ start
using 1.4 and up.

IMHO generifying component adds too much verbosity, considering
a lot of components don't even have a model.