Okay, sorry,

this wasn't really a Wicket-Problem but an IE-Problem. The Button in my
application is actually a div and IE has problems to focus() divs
(sometimes), so that when clicking the div, the focus is not removed from
the text field and no onchange-event is fired.

I managed it by giving the button div a tabIndex="0" attribute on in its
onclick I call this.focus(). Then it works (even in IE).