wrap this in a formcomponentpanel, that way in convertinput() of the panel
you have all child component's inputs available also via
getconvertedinput().

anothing option, if you are using 1.4 is to wrap this in a panel or a
fragment and use IFormModelListener to push whatever value you want into the
model.

-igor