Hi,

I have a serious problem with our application. It uses
wicket+guice+hibernate technologies. The problem basically is that the
application was developed with very little attention to the possible session
size, and it is biting us now.

The are several domain classes and the dependecies are not the simplest
possible. For example frontpage shows a listing of objects, and for each
object it shows a name and a link etc.
For the listing I have used LoadableDetachableModel, the model is passed to
a Panel, that then uses this type of structure:
ListView recommendationListView = new ListView("recommendationListView",
recommendationListModel) {
        @Override
        protected void populateItem(ListItem item) {
                final Recommendation recommendation = (Recommendation)
item.getModelObject();
                ExternalLink link = new
ExternalLink("recommendationLink","/recommendation/id/" +
recommendation.getId());
                item.add(link);

And this type of structure is used all over the application. I thought that
this was OK, but now I am not sure. When I run the code in production
environment and test it with jmeter script, i can see that the the memory
tomcat reserves grows rapidly. When I shutdown tomcat and investigate the
SESSIONS.ser file that tomcat generates, I can see there are lots of domain
classes serialized to the session. And as domain classes have other domain
classes as collections and they might have still more (altough I use
FetchType= Lazy whereever I can), it's easy to see why sessions start to
take too much memory and eventually java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap
space appears.

Are there any possible things that I could try? Or do I have to go throug
the code and try to change everything to LoadableDetachableModel, which will
be very tedious. Any help to the problem, or more accurate ways to pinpoint
the problem, would be greatly appreceated.

BR,
Jukka