additionally, i think we need to decompose our problem. i see our aims
like this:

1. maintaining an updated registry
   a) keep reference to components and regularly ping/update data
(wicket hub should be able to do this real soon)
   b) automatically discover those components (a whole new story)
2. deploying/running live examples (a whole new story)

let's start with small steps. let's attack (1.a) first.

in terms of mapping current code with wicket-components.xml, what we have is:

private String title; <--------> <component> OK
private String description;  <--------> <description> OK
private Date lastUpdated;  <--------> we grab the timestamp of the
wicket-components.xml file or the jar itself
private String author; <--------> <publisher> OK

private String topics; <--------> < ... search-keywords="slider,ui,java">  OK
private String versions; <--------> if we use maven notation for
dependencies, we should be able to easily detect wicket version
used...

private String websiteUrl; <--------> < ...
site="http://mycomponents.com/slider"; ..> OK
private String examplesUrl; <--------> somewhere in <resources> /
<demo class="com.mycomponents.demo.DemoPanel"/> , we'll need to obtain
a url where that example is deployed - this is aim #2 and we should
leave it for later

private License license; <--------> make best match of <license name="......">

we could start with a version 0.1 of wicket-components.xml, make some
experiments with two or three test jars, and see how it goes.

francisco

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:17 PM, francisco treacy
<francisco.tre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i completely agree with you in that "Wicket component jars should be
> fully self-describing, so i think wicket meta information has to be
> independent of any external technology such as maven or osgi".
>
> however the only practical way nowadays to universally identify a
> component is using its maven coordinates.
>
> so, to get started, we could just impose specifying deps in
> wicket-components.xml as this (typical maven pom snippet):
>
> <dependency>
>        <groupId>org.apache.wicket</groupId>
>        <artifactId>wicket</artifactId>
>        <version>1.4</version>
> </dependency>
>
> note that this doesn't restrain you from publishing your non-mavenized
> jar. you will only have to manually set them in that case (assuming
> some day we create a maven post-install to generate
> wicket-components.xml for mavenized ones).
>
> also, the sources and the example jar should be pointing to external
> resources. for instance in wicketstuff  examples are not packaged with
> the main component.
>
> francisco
>

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Jonathan Locke <jonathan.lo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> using the maven deps is fine.  the purpose i had in mind for the
>> requirements and libraries nodes was just to enable display of the
>> component's requirements on a page about the component... (whether it's
>> built with maven or not).  but using the maven deps would be more detailed
>> and more consistent... and most wicket components will be mavenized.
>>

>> francisco treacy-2 wrote:
>>>
>>> coincidentally, i started working on that again and i was about to
>>> contact you to suggest a draft.
>>>
>>> my perspective are (for the moment) data that is to be mapped to
>>> fields currently supported in wicket hub. i put it in a jar metadata
>>> format.
>>>
>>> Site-URL: (maps to website url)
>>> License-Name: (maps to license)
>>> Wicket-Versions: (maps to supported wicket versions)
>>> Search-Keywords: (maps to topics)
>>> Publish-Date: (maps to latest publish date)