hi jon,

> it would be nice to enable other parties to build similar wicket
> component searching technologies that are not linked to wicket hub

definitely

> my simplistic understanding was that nexus could search for jars with
> certain files in them.

not unless you extend it

> it ought to be extended so that it can do that. it would be worth
> talking to them about our needs to see if they could help us

i have contacted them: see the thread
http://nexus.sonatype.org/mailing-list-user-archives.html#nabble-f34835

basically it is technically possible to do what we need with nexus.
the problem is that this "wicket-aware extended nexus version" has to
be installed in every single repo we may want to synchronize with.  so
once we have done the coding we'll have to contact maven central (and
other) repo owners. so it boils down to diplomacy rather than
programming =)

so: for now i will focus on "submit jar url" support that we will need
anyway (for non-mavenized wicket components). at the moment this also
will be useful for components in maven repos. and the day we manage to
have an automatic 'discovery' process - people won't be required to
submit wicket-enabled-repo urls anymore.

how does that sound?

francisco

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Jonathan Locke
<jonathan.lo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> contain the file
> "META-INF/wicket/components.xml" because all such files will be wicket
> component jars
> (subject to downloading and parsing, of course). if nexus can't do that, i
> think that's
> a flaw in nexus and it ought to be extended so that it can do that. it would
> be worth
> talking to them about our needs to see if they could help us. i think that a
> nexus driven
> wicket component repository would be beneficial advertising for the nexus
> project, and
> it should not be too hard to achieve.
>
>      jon
>

> francisco treacy-2 wrote:
>>
>>> you're certainly free to go in whatever direction you want,
>>
>> to be clear, i fully agree on the decentralized model for:
>> - people and the development of this app, and data contributed by
>> wicket users: this should be as democratic as possible
>> - artifacts / components:
>>
>>> there may someday be wicket
>>> components in central or elsewhere, even outside maven repos
>>> (downloadable via HTTP
>>> like matej's inmethod stuff was for a while)
>>
>> we should support any mavenized or non-mavenized artifacts, wherever
>> those may live - you're right there (however i thought you said before
>> you were interested at present only by components delivered by maven).
>>
>>> parsing the metadata would be done after you download the artifact that
>>> you
>>> found.
>>
>> okay, fair enough. i have some doubts though:
>>
>> 1. in this scenario, downloading every artifact on earth just to open
>> it and "see if there's some wicket info inside" is... impossible.
>>
>> 2.
>>> you just need to find the artifact with nexus.
>>
>> in your original blog post you say "Basically, I'd like to see us
>> crawl maven repos looking for JAR'ed Wicket components with a
>> particular set of meta-data"
>> i don't see how nexus can help there. let's put another example:
>>
>> i create a mootools integration component, i mavenize it with package
>> name "com.mymootools.wicket" and publish it in central repo.  how does
>> nexus help in finding that, if it doesn't know anything about
>> META-INF/*.xml?
>>
>> ... *unless* you're planning people to "submit their jar urls to
>> wickethub". that would be a whole other story. but then again, nexus
>> would be useless as we will already have the urls to components (no
>> need to crawl or search - only to download the jar, open it up and
>> update metadata in wickethub)
>>
>> for screenshots and the internal structure of the xml file, we shall
>> see later, but i generally agree with you
>>
>> francisco
>>

>>> parsing the metadata would be done after you download the artifact that
>>> you
>>> found.
>>> at that point you can do anything with it, including extracting URLs or
>>> embedded