> There is no sane reason why anyone would put the html, js,
> css and properties resources in any place except *next* to
> the corresponding.java file. Your .java file can not function
> without the .html file. Your component will fail if the
> .properties file is not available. When the js file can't be
> found your component is useless.

Correct for the *runtime* view of files, and a Maven build will combine
the packages in src/main/java and src/main/resources so that the two are
merged.

What Maven likes, however is that at *coding* and *building* time that
the Java source files, and their related resources, are in different
root folders. The main reasons I have seen for this is resource
filtering and support for multiple resource folders (sharing resources
between projects for instance).

> Wicket goes beyond the call of duty to provide developers
> with the means to encapsulate your components, bringing
> Object Oriented design and programming to the web tier.

Yes, but that's salesman talk. :) And is not at all affected by Maven's
preferences.

> Moving the necessary resources outside the package folder
> into a separate directory structure breaks this encapsulation
> is definitely not the Wicket Way (tm).

It retains the package structure, but the packages start out in two (or
more) different root folders when coding, being merged in the build
process.