Hmm... what about a custom locator/loader that simply gave back the html version of the XML when wicket asked for it? You could even insert the wicket id attributes into the stream if your XML knew about them, then allow Wicket to go through its normal process.

I don't think anything here will be exactly what you need but take a look at:
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/control-where-html-files-are-loaded-from.html
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/custom-resource-paths.html

There are a few pointers that will help you understand what's going on under the covers, and give you ideas on how your issue might be handled.

- Brill