I used quercus for a medium size project and it works great for accessing
java packages since its implemented with a java servlet.  My experience was
the php.ini/configuration is limited and Quercus doesn't implement every
method for every native php module.  Also not sure about the licensing but
if you grab a trial version of resin you can take the quercus.jar and run it
from tomcat.  Performance was very good and in some ways better than native
PHP.

For the most part Quercus worked good and if you run into a feature of your
php app that is not support you can implement it as a java class.