The first problem you mention is due to a change in how the maven eclipse
plugins works, documented as a bug in: "
http://www.mail-archive.com/d...@maven.apache.org/msg80176.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/d...@maven.apache.org/msg80176.html "

Known Issues:
* [MECLIPSE-443] - Only include **/*.java in Java source directories
may affect you if you use ajdt or have non-java sources in your
directories that you expect to be compiled
Release 2.6.1 (which may get renamed to 2.7) has fixed this issue and will
be released shortly.

However in order to get it works and better don't need to worry about fixing
this in eclipse every time you generate the Eclipse project through mvn
eclipse:eclipse, you can specify to use version 2.5 of maven-eclipse-plugin
in your POM.xml

 <build>
  <plugins>
    <plugin>
      <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
      <version>2.5</version>
    </plugin>
  </plugins>
  </build>