Given the fact that there is already wicket-jquery in wicketstoff-core, I wonder how come it is simply possible to add another JQuery integration to wicketstuff. What are the rules for adding stuff there? Can committers just do whatever the like? Doesn't there have to be some voting on the mailing list for things like that? If I was to add yet another JQuery integration, could I just put it in there as well?

I'm currently doing a Wicket evaluation. Wicket may become one of the standard frameworks of the company I work for. I really like what I've seen so far, and working with Wicket can be really fun. But what looks pretty messy to me is the way things are organized (documentation, wiki, wicketstuff). To me wicketstuff presents itself as some inofficial playground with lots of badly documented things in it. However, wicketstuff-core (which is not even listed on the wicketstuff wiki (except for a migration guide)) seems to have a somewhat more official character. May the latter be taken as a production-ready supplement to Wicket? I'd appreciate it if some restructuring and clarification came along with the upcoming 1.4 release.

Thanks,
Reinhard

Tauren Mills schrieb:
Hi Richard,

I actually tried out WiQuery before deciding it wasn't the right tool
for me.  I can't remember the exact specifics of the issues I had with
it, and I only spent about a day with it. But I remember feeling like
I was being forced to use it whenever and wherever I wanted to add ANY
jQuery to my project.

I can see how WiQuery would be good for a developer who doesn't want
to touch JS, and only code in Java. With WiQuery, I can add all the
functionality I need via the WiQuery API. I have nothing against the
project in this regard, it seems like a great solution for that
situation.

But in my case, I want a wicket/jquery tool that is lightweight and
stays out of my way. I would rather code client-side only stuff just
in jQuery and not have anything necessary in my server code. The only
time I want wicket components to be aware of my jQuery code is if
there needs to be some client-server ajax communication. For instance,
drag/drop information, or sorting a list of item, etc.

From my perspective, I could care less if wicket knows which accordion
panel is open in the browser, because *for my application*, that
doesn't matter. And I do realize there are *other applications* that
this would matter, for which an optional WiQuery accordion plugin
would be userful.

And when I want to use another add-on jQuery plugin such as
superfish.js, I don't want to have to resort to WiQuery hacks or to
create my own WiQuery plugin to support it. I am constantly adding
little jQuery code here and there, and to have to make WiQuery plugins
for it all or to code it using the WiQuery API would be a pain that
I'm not willing to put up with.

The following posting I made might give a little more insight into the
reason I stopped using WiQuery:
http://groups.google.com/group/wiquery/browse_thread/thread/190fc243777ea3ba/492092296e40fe10?lnk=gst&q=tauren#492092296e40fe10

I had already found WicketJQuery at the time I tried out WiQuery.
WiQuery seemed further along and was easier to add into my
application, so I tried it first. But when it failed for me, I gave
WicketJQuery a try.  At the moment, WicketJQuery (now jWicket)
certainly isn't perfect either, but it is closer to meeting my needs.
So I offered my help to Stefan to get it mavenized and moved to
WicketStuff. We renamed it to jWicket during this transition.  This
new location will make it more accessible and easier to use for other
developers.

Of course, I have nothing against joining forces, but I also needed
something to solve a problem, and I needed it now. WiQuery wasn't
doing it for me, and jWicket was. I also want a light weight tool, and
I felt like WiQuery was overkill for my needs. If there is a way to
join forces so that one tool can satisfy everyone without becoming
some big bloated thing, then I'm all for it!

Bottom line is I just want to be able to easily add jQuery code to the
client side whenever and wherever I want without having to deal with
server side code -- except for when I need client/server communication
of jQuery events.  Maybe I'm not normal in this regard, but the
WiQuery API just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather code the client side
in JS/jQuery and keep it out of my java code.

Sorry for being long winded. Again, I have nothing against WiQuery,
and was quite impressed by it. But it just didn't seem like the right
tool for my needs. I'm certainly open to ideas on how to integrate the
projects, but from what I can tell, they really have different
visions.

Tauren

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:15 AM,